Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Brunswick Stew

IMG_1692

This recipe was given to me by Josh’s Mom several years ago and it is one of our family favorites.  I love how simple it is to prepare.  If I do not have the exact ingredients, it is no problem.  I can just throw in other stuff and it still turns out tasting so yummy. 

Ingredients

  • 1 – 2 cups of barbecue pork – cooked and chopped

  • 1 – 2 cups of chicken – cooked and chopped

  • 1 – 2 cups of roast beef – cooked and chopped

  • 1 can of whole kernel corn

  • 1 can of mild rotel tomatoes

  • 1 large can of stewed tomatoes

  • 1/2 cup of barbeque sauce

  • 1 chopped onion

Directions

  • Mix all together and cook on low in crock pot for 4 - 6 hours.  Changing the amount of ingredients is definitely optional on this one.

Additional Tips

  • We usually have “just a little bit” of meat leftover from our other meals (roast, barbecue, etc…) so I simply freeze our leftover meat in freezer bags with the date and when we get ready to make this stew I just throw it all in the crockpot.  No need to prepare fresh meat for this recipe!

  • It does not hurt to add another can of stewed tomatoes or tomato sauce if you are cooking a larger portion.  I also like to add just a tad bit of water about half way through the cooking just to keep the meats from drying out.

  • Ham is really yummy in this stew, which makes this the perfect holiday leftover recipe.

  • We also like to throw in sliced mushrooms, butter beans, okra, black eyed peas. You get the idea, right?  Anything goes in this yummy stew!

IMG_1709IMG_1710

I cannot say enough how much I love this yummy and EASY recipe and it is so good with hot cornbread on a cold winter night.  Of course, I am the odd one at our house and I like to mix my bread in with my soups.  My sweet hubby and children think I am nuts!!  Ha!!  Smile  This particular night we enjoyed another family favorite – Savory Wheat Bread – along with this dish and it was yummy too. 

Enjoy!
Blog - Signature

No comments: